Tuesday, December 18, 2018

The SpaceTime Reading Challenge

As I looked over the review selections I made so far, I noticed something. It's been heavily skewed towards fantasy. Nothing wrong with that; I enjoy fantasy novels quite a bit. But I also really enjoy science fiction. 

So I decided to even out the scales a bit. So I found an online challenge specifically devoted to science fiction: the SpaceTime Reading Challenge! It was nice to find a challenge that was specifically focused on science fiction.

The challenge runs from 1 January to 31 December, 2019. Currently, there are four different participation levels.
  • 5 books: Planet hopper
  • 10 books: Interstellar explorer
  • 20 books: Galactic navigator
  • 40 books: To Infinity and Beyond
I've settled on the Galactic Navigator level. I want to leave some open room in my schedule for other books, and perhaps another challenge. I had a lot of success with the 2018 r/Fantasy Book Bingo challenge, and I may want to do that again.

Here's my potential SpaceTime list:
  1. Grass by Sherri Tepper
  2. The Wrong Stars by Tim Pratt
  3. Quantum Magician by Derek Künsken
  4. The Poison Master by Liz Williams
  5. Dying of the Light by George R.R. Martin
  6. Skyward by Brandon Sanderson
  7. Nova by Samuel R. Delaney
  8. A Big Ship at the Edge of the Universe by Alex White
  9. The Ark by Patrick S. Tomlinson
  10. The Forever War by Joe Haldeman
  11. A Red Sun Also Rises by Mark Hodder
  12. Embers of War by Gareth L. Powell
  13. Escaping Exodus by Nicky Drayden
  14. Noumenon by Marina J. Lostetter
  15. Tekwar by William Shatner
  16. The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi 
  17. The Empress Game by Rhonda Mason
  18. Downbelow Station by C.J. Cherryh
  19. A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge
  20. Mistworld by Simon R. Green
This may change over time. I don't typically think about what I want to read until I'm done with one book. So I may find myself mixing up the list a bit. Also, I probably won't go in the numerical order listed, for similar reasons.

As I finish and review each book,  I'll add a link to the title.

1 comment:

  1. That's a great list, Jordan, and thanks for taking part. I confess I haven't heard of most of them, so I'll be looking for recommendations!
    Jemima

    ReplyDelete