Thursday, October 11, 2018

Midnight Front by David Mack

I really wanted to like this one, but it failed to entertain.

I like the idea of WW2 fought with magic. But The Midnight Front tried to cram in too much. I think this book would have made a better series. There were a ton of characters, and they were all paper-thin. Even the main protagonists and antagonist. A series specifically about these characters would develop the character's motivations more. If they were likeable, I would have been more interested in the story.

There were several big set-piece moments that would have worked well as the climax of the story. For example, the battle of Normandy was the end of the book's second act. It could have easily been the culmination of a novel, especially considering the stakes presented.

Also, I didn't like the magic system in this one. It was one-dimensional and boring. The description of when characters used magic was in the following format: [Something cool] caused by [Specific Demonic Attribute]. The use of magic felt like a GURPS roleplaying game combining WW2 and Warlocks. I wish there were different sources of magic, too. I didn't like that
mages on both sides used demons. I guess I was pampered by Bitter Seeds by Ian Tregillis, where the magic had a more emotionally resonant source AND the Nazis got their powers from a different source than the Allies.

Also, the book doesn't have anything original to say about religion. It's a tired, lazy re-tread that is easy to see for miles off. For a book that has so much to do with the religion-inspired supernatural, it comes off as trite.

All-in-all, a disappointing read. It could have been so much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment